Lindenwold Borough Community Lindenwold Borough Services Lindenwold Borough Departments Home page

Lindenwold Borough Community Pages

Lindenwold History


On April 23,1929 Lindenwold became a Borough. The first meeting of Borough Council was held on May 31, 1929 in the council chambers of the old Fire Hall at Linden Avenue and Berlin Road.

Wilmer Bedford, the man who named Lindenwold, was the Secretary and Attorney for the Penn Guarantee Trust Company. On his way to Lindenwold he was reading a book in which a 'Lindenwold" was mentioned. Lindenwold in the German language means "Linden Woods". Mr. Bedford planned to have linden trees planted along the streets of the new town, but while he was away on other business, chapter and more easily obtained trees were planted.

There is a history book of the Borough of Lindenwold entitled The History of Lindenwold. This book is available at the Lindenwold Library, 310 E. Linden Avenue, Lindenwold NJ 08021